Breaking News
Join This Site
Anna Kendrick made Barack Obama double over with laughter in 2012. Now we know why.

Anna Kendrick made Barack Obama double over with laughter in 2012. Now we know why.


You want to know what real power looks like? Walking up to the President of the United States and calling him an asshole.
The fun apparently started when Kendrick showed up extra-early for a meet-and-greet with President Obama. She was the first attendee there, so she started chatting with one of the president's Secret Service agents, who happened to be from Maine. (Kendrick is also a Mainer.)
This is relevant to the story.
During Obama's talk, he spotted Kendrick in the crowd and praised her for her role in Up in the Air, the 2009 movie in which she starred alongside George Clooney as a corporate downsizer-in-training. Then, during the meet-and-greet portion of the event, he brought up the movie again.
"So I shake his hand and he says, 'I hope I didn't embarrass you earlier.' And I was like, 'Yeah, you're such an asshole.'"
Pause for laughter.
"And he kinda laughs and says 'Oh, you're from Maine, aren't you?' And thinking about my conversation with the Secret Service agent I said, 'Yes! And I was the first person here.'"
Then she described her chat with the Secret Service agent, which prompted a question from the president: Are people from Maine really punctual?
"I was like, 'You didn't know that? You're the president.' So I called him an asshole and scolded him for not knowing enough about the 50 states. And that was what made him double over with laughter, yayyyyyy."
So there you have it. Now you have all the context needed to understand exactly what was going on in this years-old Instagram post from Kendrick.